Netflix Series “Wednesday” — Worth the Watch?

Netflix Series Wednesday -- Worth the Watch?

Mekhi Chalmers, Arts and Entertainment Journalist

Even if you may not have watched it, I know you definitely heard about it, and that’s the new Wednesday series staring my gworl Ms. Jenna Ortega. The series premiered on Netflix on November 23rd this year and has been going around like mosquitos in the summer, due to its positive impact and all the feedback on and about the show. Creator Tim Burton was reported to be making the television series, which was later given a series order by Netflix. Jenna Ortega (who plays protagonist Wednesday) was cast in part to represent the character’s Latina heritage, Christina Ricci, who played the original Wednesday in the 1991 film The Addams Family. You know all the boys are thirsty for Ms. Ortega, so I gathered a few students and asked for their opinion on the series and to rate it from 1-10. Read below for their feedback:

Joseph Cuenca (Class of 2023): “Ummm my opinion was that I liked it, it took a new turn from the original Addams family. I like the actor Jenna Ortega especially, you know she was why I watched it. On a scale of 1-10, I rate it a 9, every boy has a crush on her and I’m just one of those guys lol, but in all seriousness the show was good.”

Angel Estevez (Class of 2025): “I’m not gon lie, she fire, I’ll let her control my type. On a scale of 1-10, I’ll give it a 9 cause like, it’s cool and all but it’s not my style.”

Julius Malcom (Class of 2026): “It was fine, it was amazing, extraordinary, and fantastic. On a scale of 1-10, I would give it a 10/10. Jenna Ortega, she ate, she was flawless, and she did her part as she should.”

Shawn Morris (Class of 2024): “I’m not gonna say how I really felt about it because I know a lot of people didn’t see it, but in my opinion, it’s a 9/10. They really reached with the new Addams family concept.”

Tyler Dees (Class of 2024): “From the beginning to where I stopped watching it, it was amazing. It gave an appropriate amount of dry and dark humor appreciating the personality of the main character Wednesday while appealing to its younger teenage audience by giving more modernized humor referring to different types of social media platforms. They could’ve delivered the story better and used more well-known characters to make more references to the Adams family as a whole and elaborate on what her species is but otherwise definitely a 9.5. The story was good and I like how it really showed a picture of the diversity between the supernatural and regular life on how it’s always a struggle between the “Outsiders” and the “Normies.” In the end I think that’s what really got me, the fact that I liked following Wednesday as a very funny and realistic character.”

Isaiah Carrasco (Class of 2028): “I think it was a 7/10 because it was interesting with all the different types of monsters at the school, but the story was dry. But the animation and the characters were cool, so I give it a 7.”