Eagle Academy’s GSA – 2 Years Strong

Aleksei Torres, Editor in Chief

At Eagle Academy for Young Men in the Bronx, there is an organization run by Ms. Elena called the GSA which stands for Gender and Sexuality Alliance. In the GSA, they work hard to spread awareness and acceptance of the LGBTQIA+ community, by planning events, reading morning announcements, and going on field trips. The GSA also provides an encouraging and educational environment to those who aren’t receiving support from family or friends. The GSA is an all-welcoming group to those who identify as heterosexual “straight” allies (those in support of the LGBTQ+ community) or to those who identify as queer (gay, trans, bisexual, asexual, etc.).

The GSA has accomplished many of their objectives. This includes various trips such as visiting the historic Stonewall Inn to gain more knowledge about LGBTQ history, participating in the NYC GSA Summit, which gave members an opportunity to meet GSAs from other boroughs, and attended Newfest, an LGBTQIA+ film festival, in order to meet queer content creators. They also have hosted Lunch and Learns to spread awareness on topics ranging from coming out, women’s history, and mental health.

Currently the GSA is in its second year. They meet once a week on Wednesdays, during 6th period. For those interested in joining the group, or learning more about it, please come talk to Ms. Elena (Rm. 218). All students, both gay and straight, are welcome to join – as long as they are committed to creating a healthier and safer school environment for everyone.