C.L.E.A.R. Voices

The Student News Site of Eagle Academy Bronx

C.L.E.A.R. Voices

C.L.E.A.R. Voices

Eighth Grade Invocation – A Start of Something New

Eighth Grade Invocation - A Start of Something New

Invocation, essentially the child or smaller version of Convocation, is an event to get 8th grade seniors ready for their stepping up ceremony in June. This is the first Invocation in Eagle Bronx history, and it happened on April 5, 2024, starting a new tradition. The event started at 10:00am and went until 12:30pm. When Invocation started, a lot of the 8th graders described feeling nervous. They seemed nervous because their parents and family members were looking at them and the spotlight was only on them. Luckily, the 8th grade scholars practiced the whole week before Invocation, even during after school hours from 3:00pm until 6:00pm. So they were well prepared for the event. 

As part of Invocation there were different kinds of rituals, such as: doing the pledge with the 12th grade brothers, reciting the oath, the classic Invictus poem, and finally ending the ceremony by giving roses to family members. As well, eligible 8th graders received a custom made cardigan to signify their stepping up at the end of the school year. The cardigans are similar to how the high school seniors receive blazers during Convocation, so the middle school seniors got their cardigans. Though this is their own personal half-way ceremony, not every eighth grader was allowed to go, as all of their grades had to be over 65% in order to be eligible. This was to encourage scholars to get good grades so they could attend the ceremony, as well enjoy as the free Italian sandwiches provided by the school.

Eagle journalists interviewed participants to see what they thought of the new event. Brandon Pacheco, 12th grader, stated, “it was good, I’m glad that they got to experience something that I didn’t in 8th grade.” Daniel Moline, one of the participating 8th grade scholars, commented, “it was kind of embarrassing having a bunch of eyes on you.” Ms. Maronie, a Living Environment teacher shared, “I saw lots of parents and cameras.” Stephen Floyd, another one of the participating 8th grade scholars stated “it was fun, and I want more Italian sandwiches, they were the G.O.A.T.”

Overall, it was a great experience for the 8th grade scholars, and they would like to continue this tradition for the foreseeable future, for other 8th grade classes to come. Eagle Up!!